Digitalization of Education
Technology has touched each and every sphere of our life. Presently the use of technology into the mainstream education system has been a breakthrough for all stakeholders.
Being hands-on with this boon of technology automatically results in better quality outputs that too with utmost convenience.
Desktops, laptops, tablets have now brought a school to the child, which was just confined to the physical availability of the student and teacher in the age-old setups.
Digitalization of Education literally means breaking the ties of the conventional setup and making education more accessible and flexible using online tools such as internet connectivity, access on devices and portal based studies and assessments.
Prerequisites- Online/Digital Education-
- Strong internet connection
- Suitable device (laptop/tablet etc.)
Acts as a specific choice for many-
- Remote areas- travelling to school is not possible for all students at all times, issues such as due to terrorism threat, gender prejudice, general safety etc.
- Addressing special needs- impairment and disability in students
- Conscious choice to avoid peer pressure, negative influences, bullies
- Difficult topography, natural calamity or epidemic hit areas where seeking quality education has minimal possibilities
- Transferable jobs and families on the move
- Health issues leading to a substantial gap in the regular flow
What stands out?
- Hassle-free and convenient- any time learning flexible to one’s own schedule
- Learning at one’s own pace- devoting time as per one’s own need, subjective to personal strengths and weaknesses
- Cost-effective, environment-friendly- no need for printing
- Material readily available 24*7
- Well researched content
- Freedom to pursue other hobbies/interests simultaneously
- Apart from basic learning, the student develops excellent practical skills, which can be industry specific or general troubleshooting
- Research skills are also developed among students opting for online learning
- Independent bent of mind and highly developed visualization
As per a survey conducted by “Statista”, 27% of the students globally have liked the courses offered throughout the year in online schools.
Child Centric Approach-
Today we are keeping the child as a pivot while framing any instruction objective. Digitalization of education not only supports this approach but also caters to the needs of different types of learners, the most basic parameter of assessment which has been neglected till now.
This can be summed up as “Cutting your cloth according to your size”.
Additionally, with the modern online methods of teaching and learning a student has a lot of buffer time for personal skill development, goal chasing, extra-curricular/non-academic activities, which keeps the mind and body active.
David Warlick, a renowned American educationist, rightly said “We need technology in every classroom and in every student and teacher’s hand, because it is the pen and paper of our time and it is the lens through which we experience much of our world”.
Needs and circumstances vary from person to person and therefore, not everyone fits in a pre-defined system. Exceptions are always there and special cases need special resolutions.
Digitalization of education has been a blessing for the 21st-century student from all walks of life. Institutions such as Florida Virtual School and International Schooling have been instrumental in driving the modern-day student towards online mediums and have paved a way forward. Technology has the potential to make education accessible in every nook and corner of the world by touching the life of every child and nurture him/her blossom to the fullest. Let’s hope a better acceptance of these platforms will make more of our little one’s benefit and shine!